When is BuildWorld necessary?

pobox at verysmall.org pobox at verysmall.org
Sat Sep 16 12:52:32 PDT 2006

Bob wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I recently installed FreeBSD  6.1 over the net from sources. I am keeping
> things up-to-date using CVSup.
>
> When portaudit tells me I have a security issue; I update/re-install the
> affected port. When a kernel patch comes in, I re-compile the kernel; which
> now stands at FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p6 #3.
>
> From what I can tell, buildworld re-builds the base system, something I have
> yet to do. My thought is to do a buildworld only  when the OS version is
> updated to the next number above 6.1.  I understand this happens at about 4
> month intervals.
>
> My question is, is there a good reason to buildworld before a version change?
> I hate "fixing"  something which is working perfectly, and this system has
> been stellar!
>
> Bob

Hi Bob,

I believe it is basically good to get the 'p' patches as they contain
security fixes. My thinking is that if 'p' patch comes out - your system
is, in some sense, not perfect anymore :)

But I have one question - do you rebuild the world on a remote machine
(without physical access) and if yes - how do you restart in single user
mode. This is what I can't understand so far.

Thanks,
Iv