rebooting into single user mode on a remote server

pobox at verysmall.org pobox at verysmall.org
Sat Sep 16 11:47:22 PDT 2006

Hello,

could somebody help me to understand the best way to enter into a single
user mode on a remote server.

I need it for the moment, during rebuilding world, when I have to reboot
into single user mode before 'mergemaster -p'.

The only solution I found so far is to do 'shutdown -r now' and when the
server boots to login with ssh and do 'shutdown now' - which should drop
it to single user mode.

I can ask the support at the hosting location to reboot in single user
mode, but I do not know if I will have ssh then?

Alternatively I can ask them to do the last few steps.

Thank you for your advises,
Iv.