Crippled FreeBSD! Need help!

Viswas Nair fysical at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 07:46:00 PDT 2006

I have managed to scr** up my FBSD 6.1 installation. This is what happened:

I had an installation of BSD with which I was experimenting and managed to
get it to work to my taste. Call this installation A. This installation had
a lot of unwanted ports installed so I decided to do a new installation.

I installed BSD in another partition. Call this installation B.
I wanted to custom build the kernel in B and hence created the config file
needed for the custom build.
I used sysinstall to copy the src from the  6.1 CD. When I marked Base inside
sysinstall to be copied, it gave me an error: Write failure on transfer!
(wrote -1 bytes of 1425408 bytes). I know this is not a problem with the CD
because I was able to copy the base and src in another machine that I have.
Src however got copied in B.
I couldnt do a make buildworld because it gave me an error saying that it
didnt know what buildworld was.
I knew i needed the base files to get it to work. A friend of mine had
helped me custom build the kernel in installation A.
So I mounted the partition and copied the files in /usr/src (only files,
excluded /usr/src/sys) from installation A to installation B.

Then when I did a make buildworld it gave me an error that it was unable to
cd into a directory by thename /somepath/usr.bin.
I dont remember what somepath was. I couldn't note it down.

Then I mounted the 6.1 CD and went into the 6.1Release folder and into the
base directory and ran ./install.sh. It asked me if I wanted to copy files
to / and i said yes. I attempted make buildworld again and it did not work.

When this did not work, I decided to restart the machine and try again.
However, after restarting, the login prompt does not accept my user id and
password. And when i type "root" for user, it logs me in without asking for
a password. I am clueless whats happening here.
Please help.

Thanks,
Vishy

p.s: i used make buildworld KERNCONF=CUSTOM.