devfs and hot unplugging

M. L. Dodson mldodson at houston.rr.com
Fri Sep 15 15:26:39 PDT 2006

I was transferring a bunch of data files from compute nodes to a server
using dump-restore.  I put the disks with the data files into an external
firewire device, plugged it in, and did the transfers.  This is on
6.1-RELEASE-p6.

When I finished the transfers, I just pulled the cable (the firewire disk
partitions were not mounted).  When I plugged in the next drive, devfs
created devices with names like /dev/da0s1aa, /dev/da0s1ab, /dev/da0s1ac,
etc., in addition to the regular /dev/da0s1a, etc (which were left over
from the first disk, they were not destroyed when I pulled the cable).
When I tried to fsck the firewire disk partitions, /dev/da0s1a
and /dev/da0s1g worked fine (as did the dump/restore from /dev/da0s1g).
The other partitions, /dev/da0s1d, e, and f, failed, saying the superblock
could not be found.  All the data disks were of the same kind and had
identical partitioning schemes.

My question: Should I be doing something to signal devfs I'm going to unplug
a device so it won't get confused when I plug in another similar, but not
the same, device?  What's going on here?

Bud Dodson
--
M. L. Dodson
Email:	mldodson-at-houston-dot-rr-dot-com