FTP server behind router/gateway

Nikos Vassiliadis nvass at teledomenet.gr
Fri Sep 15 00:44:43 PDT 2006

On Thursday 14 September 2006 17:40, billgg at sonic.net wrote:
> I have a FreeBSD 6.1 box running behind a router/gateway.  When it tries
> to go into passive mode, it returns it's internal 192.168. ip address to
> the client which the client stupidly uses to try to connect to.  I've
> confirmed this by tyring to FTP from several external systems (windows &
> linux).  Is there anyway to get the FreeBSD box to return the external
> address without making it act as the router/gateway?

In addition to what Andreas said:

The problem is not the "router/gateway" in front of the ftp. The problem
is the internal address the ftp server has and the nat that the router has
to do. FreeBSD knows nothing about the external address... I think you'll
have better results getting a second IP address for your ftp server and
just route packets. Or you could search for an ftp server with this feature
and/or a router with a big bag of tricks(similar to ftp-proxy FreeBSD has)

I would go for a second IP address if that was a choice

Nikos