Network connectivity between FreeBSD and Linux

Arindam arindam.mukerjee at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 22:17:07 PDT 2006

> >> hostname

> >> with
> >> some

> >> /sbin/ifconfig output? Also, do you happen to have a firewall in your
> >> FreeBSD OS setup :)?

1. No firewall running.
2. Here is the output:

pcn0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	inet6 fe80::260:b0ff:fe87:42ca%pcn0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
	ether 00:60:b0:87:42:ca
	status: active
plip0: flags=108810<POINTOPOINT,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST,NEEDSGIANT> mtu 1500
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
	inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
	inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3
	inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

What I have noticed is that when I ping from the other machine (FC2)
then at least the two lights corresponding to these two machines
blink.

When I ping from my FreeBSD to the FC2 box, then the switch lights do
not blink. This leads me to suspect that the packets from the BSD host
are never making it to the network cable - is my network card
supported I wonder.

What I have seen is that this same network card works when I boot to
RHEL4.3 which is the other OS on this box and it does ping alright
between the two boxes.

On FreeBSD, this NIC is detected as AMD 79c79x - I could do ifconfig
to set the IP and netmask - no errors were reported. However it does
not look like I am at all getting on the network with this.

Cheers,
Andy