unknown ethernet card

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Thu Sep 14 20:55:56 PDT 2006

On Sep 15, 2006, at 12:28 PM, pauls at utdallas.edu wrote:

> I'm beginning the install of 6.1 RELEASE on a Dell 1950.  It uses
> Dual Embedded Broadcom NetXtreme II 5708 Gigabit Ethernet NICs, and
> they are not correctly recognized during the install.  The system
> identifies them as bce0 and bce1, but apparently the driver isn't
> working right.
>
> Does anyone have these NICs working?  If so, what driver did you use?
>
> Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
> Adjunct Information Security Officer
> The University of Texas at Dallas
> http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/

Those particular cards should use a generic driver (in this case bc).
The fact that your interfaces are found though seems to point to the
fact that things are not configured properly, network-wise. Are you
sure the network settings you're providing are correct, or that the
actual NICs themselves have a solid link to a switch and are working?
-Garrett