package-recursive and methods to quickly rebuild your computer

Jonathan Horne jhorne at dfwlp.org
Wed Sep 13 13:14:16 PDT 2006

>> so ive been playing with my buildserver, and working out the methodology
>> to quickly recover a computer to operational mode.
>>
>> yesterday, i took my buildserver, and began with a 'pkg_delete -a', and
>> then updated my ports tree.  i then proceeded to visit each port
>> directory
>> of things my production server runs, and did a 'make install
>> package-recursive', until had a /usr/ports/packages/ directory that was
>> very full of what appears to be invididual packages of each of the
>> things
>> i need on my server.
>>
>> next, i took a test box, and mounted /usr/ports from my build server to
>> this test box, changed to /usr/ports/packages/All, and did a 'pkg_add -v
>> *', and watched as what appeared to be each package this directory
>> install
>> onto my test box.
>>
>> the first thing i decided to test, was apache (2.0.59).  apache would
>> fire
>> up, but php would not work well enough to load squirrelmail or something
>> like phpsysinfo.  phpsysinfo told me that the xml and pcre exentions are
>> required, but 'pkg_info|grep php5' told me that these extensions were
>> installed.  if i do a plain 'pkg_info' on both my build server and test
>> box, they are line for line the same, but some things are obvously not
>> working.
>>
>> first, am i going about this project in the wrong direction?
>
> Sounds good to me.
>
>> second, what is the proper way to use the packages that have been built
>> from ports, and how do they differ from actually building the port on a
>> system?
>
> It sounds to me like the php addons aren't getting registered in
> /usr/local/etc/php/extensions.ini
>
> --
> Bill Moran
> Collaborative Fusion Inc.

it turns out, that you were correct.  and to add insult to injury, the
package that was created is not even depositing the pcre.so into
/usr/local/lib/php/20050922 directory, which is fully populated on the
build server.

at this point im not sure where to go.  so far, it doesnt seem like this
project is going to produce a useable set of pre-built packages from my
build server that can be used on another system for a fast-as-possible
system recovery.

not beaten yet,
jonathan