The Ports collection / FreeBSD CDs

Daniel Bye freebsd-questions at slightlystrange.org
Wed Sep 13 09:41:52 PDT 2006

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 05:30:43PM -0700, Perry Hutchison wrote:
> > > ... at least in my recent experience, an up-to-date ports tree
> > > does not always play nicely with a not-updated base install from
> > > CD.
> >
> > That's very interesting. However, the ports tree on the CD isn't
> > complete, as in: not all the ports are there.
>
> Any idea why?  (I am referring to the ports tree itself, i.e. the
> collection of skeleton directories.  The set of distfiles provided
> on CDs 3 and 4 is necessarily incomplete, both due to limited space
> and because some distfiles have legal restrictions that prevent
> their inclusion.)

Because since the release CD was cut, the porters have been tirelessly
porting new software and updating existing software - the ports tree is
pretty much in a constant state of growth and development.  As soon as
the release is cut, the included ports tree is out of date.

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key: http://www.slightlystrange.org/pgpkey-dan.asc
PGP Key fingerprint: D349 B109 0EB8 2554 4D75  B79A 8B17 F97C 1622 166A
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \