sendmail and hosts_access(5)

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Wed Sep 13 09:14:30 PDT 2006

Hello all,

I am attempting to block an SMTP server with /etc/hosts.allow:

[194.117.241.251] (may be forged))
[506] Tue 12.Sep.2006 20:55:44
[kadmin at archangel][~]
#ssh kadmin at elisha grep zeork /home/kadmin/spammers
.net.zeork.com.pl

[507] Tue 12.Sep.2006 20:56:55
[kadmin at archangel][~]
#ssh kadmin at elisha grep /home/kadmin/spammers /etc/hosts.allow
sendmail : /home/kadmin/spammers : deny

hosts_access(5) says this:
       The access control language implements the following patterns:
        * A string that begins with  a  `.'  character.  A  host
	name is matched  if the last components of its name match the
	specified pattern.  For example, the pattern `.tue.nl'  matches
	the host name `wzv.win.tue.nl'

So, why does my server continue accepting SMTP connections from
"241net251.net.zeork.com.pl" ?

Thoughts, pointers, gentle kicks on the bum welcomed.

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.
----
Ray's Rule of Precision:
	Measure with a micrometer.  Mark with chalk.  Cut with an axe.