Using PC as serial terminal on running system

Jonathan McKeown jonathan at hst.org.za
Wed Sep 13 05:57:58 PDT 2006

I'm using my laptop and tip(1) as a serial terminal. This is working well when
a machine is booted with the laptop connected to its serial port. However, I
need to be able to connect the laptop to a machine which was booted without a
serial console.

I've set the ttyd0 line in /etc/ttys and sigHUPed init. The machine is still
not recognising the presence of the ``serial terminal'' - the getty(1)
process on the server is not bound to a controlling terminal and nothing is
appearing in the tip(1) screen on the laptop.

I've also tried fiddling about with conscontrol, adding ttyd0 on the server -
still no difference.

Have I missed a trick somewhere, or do I really need to reboot the server to
get it to recognise a PC connected as a serial terminal?

(Connection is laptop - USB - BAFO 810 USB/serial adapter - null-modem cable -
server)

Jonathan