4x Kernel

Keith Phipps keith.phipps at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 06:22:13 PDT 2006

On 9/12/06, Mark Cullen <mark.r.cullen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Keith Phipps wrote:
> > Good Day,
> >
> > We've got a FreeBSD box that's running 4.10 (that may not be correct,
> but
> > it's 4.x for certain) and it's not seeing our ATA driver on the
> appliance
> > it's been installed on. It's just a small 1u device, 1 hard drive, no
> RAID.
> > The same version installs on the 2u with the RAID controller no problem.
> > Best I can tell, 6.1 has the proper ATA driver. ICH7 is what I'm looking
> > for.
> >
> > The build of our boxes are ISO'd on a CD, so I'm wondering the best way
> > get this done - as I've never had to recompile anything and the more and
> > more I'm reading, the more and more it looks like I'm going to have to
> >
> > a) figure out where/how to pull the ICH7 ATA driver from the 6.1 build
> > b) how I can recompile the kernel that goes with the ISO
> >
> > It'd be easy (so google says) if it were anything other than the drive
> > controller - but since I can get to the drive, I can't load the OS
> > properly,
> > can't just replace the kernel that way.
> >
> > Any and all ideas, resources, etc.. would be helpful, as this was just
> sort
> > of dropped on my plate.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > -Keith
> >
> Is there any particular reason why you can't just use 6.1? I know it's
> probably not what you want to hear, but it's highly likely it's going to
> be said if I don't anyway :-)
>
> If it's because of stability, you *could* give NetBSD or OpenBSD a try
> perhaps? I had even 4.x panic'ing and locking up on my machine, where
> NetBSD 3 is totally stable. I *think* NetBSD 3 supports ICH7 at least.

I wish that were possible, and it will be in a few months. We've got to keep
the production boxes the same as the ones in the field until we do the big
upgrade post new year. Believe me, I've run my head into the "lets just get
to 6.1 stable" head into the wall over this one. Got to love red tape :)

--

--
They call me Hadoken 'cause I'm down-right fierce.