X Configuration Woes

Arindam arindam.mukerjee at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 00:32:28 PDT 2006

> I am an absolute FreeBSD Newbie and I decided to give it a try over a
> lazy weekend - mainly because I don't want to throw away my old PIII
> box. I picked up FreeBSD 5.4 which was all I got and I am dual booting
> it with RHEL4.3. My box is rather old ... P3 733 Mhz with 256 megs of
> SDRAM at 100MHz, and I installed FreeBSD on the first 6.5 Gigs of my
> Seagate harddrive ... connected to the Primary master IDE interface.

> If you can wade through this gibberish, please help.
>

> Cheers,
> Andy

Some updates:

Following this I did a fresh install using the FreeBSD6.1 CD1. Xorg
installed is 6.9.0.
I did not run xorgconfig or anything. There was no /etc/X11/xorg.conf
either. From the command-line I ran "xdm" and the GUI started ... I
could login ... and then that's about it.

1. The Mouse still does not work ... may be I should try MouseSystems protocol.

2. What should I do about GNOME / KDE etc. I am not aching to get a
jazzy a GUI on my FreeBSD installation. I can make do with a very
minimal one. But I want a minimal one at least now, I just have to get
this running or I can't sleep.

Cheers,
Andy