Newbie Experience

backyard backyard1454-bsd at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 11 17:02:02 PDT 2006

--- Jerold McAllister <jerrymc at msu.edu> wrote:

> backyard writes:
>
> > --- Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> wrote:

> words...
> >>
> >> Perhaps, although it seems you recovered quickly.
>
> >> :-)

> >> really don't see
> >
> > I'm in that club myself. It takes a few times to
> get
> > it down, but it is simple once you know the basic
> > steps of getting FreeBSD on a box. The trick is of
> >  some excised
> >
> >> comprehensible unless you
> >> have the already-mentioned technical background.
> >
> > I would have to concurr with this 100%. My first
> go at
> > FreeBSD was a little rough do to this whole
> concept of
> > two "partitionings." I thought to myself now why
> would
> > anyone want to do this. I wouldn't consider myself
> at
> > the time a novice, but I wouldn't consider myself
> too
> > bright either... Now it makes perfect sense to
> have
> > one partition and multiple slices. It makes an
> fstab
> > look a lot nicer.
>
> Of course, I think you just said that backwards.
> I think by FreeBSD terminology you probably mean one
> slice and
> several partitions (a-h) in it...

in the interest of not confusing a newbie in the
future I would say yes I did. my biggest problem is
mixing my own vernacular with what the rest of the
world uses... At any rate having one slice for my Unix
and partitioning that slice up with the filesystems I
wish to populate is a good thing. After a while you
even get used to what a-h is all about and to stay
away from c unless you need to dd a mistaken gvinum
configuration away... In retrospec this probably
messes new folks up cause like myself they generally
assume a partition is what we would call a slice...

-brian