Question

Svein Halvor Halvorsen svein.h at lvor.halvorsen.cc
Mon Sep 11 15:36:01 PDT 2006

Jonathan Chen wrote:
> To unzip ZIPs, you need to install archivers/unzip. To unzip RARs, you
> need to install archivers/unrar.

The new bsdtar (by way of libarchive) can read zip files quite nicely.
At least most of them, in my experience. According to the man page
libarchive-formats(5):

   Zip format
     Libarchive can extract from most zip format archives.  It
     currently only supports uncompressed entries and entries
     compressed with the ``deflate'' algorithm.  Older zip
     compression algorithms are not supported.

The base system tar is bsdtar (from 5.3-RELEASE, I think)

	Svein Halvor