FreeBSD installer (was Re: Newbie Experience #2)

Jonathan McKeown jonathan at hst.org.za
Mon Sep 11 07:26:37 PDT 2006

On Monday 11 September 2006 15:56, Jud wrote:
> everyone who uses FreeBSD knows that a "better" (meaning,
> at least to many folks, more simplified and graphical)
> installer would be nice

Perhaps as an option. The problem is that you need to install a graphical
environment to run a graphical installer. Simplicity means different things
to different people, too.

I set up new and replacement servers, using commodity hardware for cost
reasons, for our various offices around South Africa. I used to have a KVM
switch with a spare monitor and keyboard in my office for doing the
installations, or if I was going elsewhere to install delivered hardware or
update an existing box, we needed to arrange a spare screen and keyboard at
the location.

I now have a slightly-adjusted installation CD (I downloaded the disc 1 and 2
ISO images from Freebsd.org, unpacked disc 1 onto a hard drive and edited
boot/loader.conf, adding the line
console="comconsole"
then made a new ISO and burned to a fresh CD labelled ``disc 1- serial'').

Now the only time my servers get a screen/keyboard connected is to configure
the BIOS when they are first unpacked. Otherwise the basic install is done
from the serial boot CD with my laptop as a serial terminal, up to the point
where I can ssh to the box and start customising, adding packages etc. From
my point of view it doesn't get simpler than that.

Jonathan