Windows "emulator" in amd64

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Sun Sep 10 18:22:32 PDT 2006

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 17:00:34 -0600
"Andrew Falanga" <af300wsm at gmail.com> wrote:

> What package will work to run Windoze programs in FreeBSD/amd64?  I don't
> usually worry about, but my
> Father switched to FreeBSD/amd64 (which is what I run) and he can't seem to
> find one.  I first steered him toward vmware3, which I found in the ports.

for vmware3 you'll still need a vmware for linux commercial license to use it.

> But it refused to install because of being the 64-bit OS.  So, I tried to
> install wine, also from ports, and was told the same thing.  I went to the
> wine web site and thought I remembered seeing something about using wine on
> amd64.  So, what windows emulator can be run in amd64?

have you tried qemu ?

I particularly feel it's not worth the effort installing windows inside a vm
like qemu..it's just feels soooo slow (because it is :) ... wine seems to me a
better way to go, but i didnt know about the 64-bit issue.

good luck,

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

Law of Conservation of Perversity:
  we can't make something simpler without making something else more complex

Warned.