Migrating from postfix to postfix

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Sep 7 12:37:44 PDT 2006

On Sep 7, 2006, at 12:07 PM, Hair wrote:
> Hello, the company I work for has decided to host web and mail
> internally
> instead of paying a hosting company.  I have gotten freebsd set up and
> postfix and squirrelmail up and running.  Is there a way to migrate
> saved
> messages from the old server to the new one?  I tried simply stopping
> postfix on both servers, copy /var/mail/username and restart
> postfix, but
> the copied mail does not show up.  Thanks.

Of course, you realize that Postfix is only an MTA; you probably need
something like an IMAP or POP3 server for most MUA's to access the
stored email...?  And if you have been using POP3 in the past,
normally the email is kept on the local user machines and not on the
mail server; in that case, you will have to upload the saved email
from their local user machines back to the mailhost you are setting up.

--
-Chuck