rpc.lockd stalls

Tom Ierna tom at shockergroup.com
Thu Sep 7 11:16:20 PDT 2006

On Sep 7, 2006, at 1:44 PM, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Trying to run a database server or mail server without a disk
> strikes me as a very bad idea.

This is unfortunate - the "client" machines I have chosen have no
front-panel disk sleds. Hardware administration will be a bear if
they each have to have their own disks. Software-wise, I was hoping
to have them all share a common Kernel and userland too, so I only
have to update software in one place.

> I am surprised that rpc.lockd is holding up well enough to only go
> down about once a month; simply running the locking tests which
> come with sendmail used to be enough to cause rpc.lockd to crash...

I will be using qmail, when I get to that stage. qmail is supposed to
be rather safe, even over NFS.

> Best of luck,
> --
> -Chuck

Thanks, it sounds like you think I need it :)

I'm open to suggestions on a better method of accomplishing my goals.

Best,
-Tom

--
Tom Ierna