installing 6.1 on Compaq Proliant 5000

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Wed Sep 6 23:07:44 PDT 2006

This isn't unusual, it happens with certain array cards.

If the disk drivers of each different operating system don't agree in how
the "disk" is laid out that the intelligent driver array controller presents
them, then your screwed - you cannot use the array card for a multi-boot
system.

Sometimes you can get away with it by installing FreeBSD on part of
the disk, and a subsequent disk driver will see the FreeBSD partition and
understand not to overwrite it.  But, sometimes not.

It strikes me that Win 2003 Server is going to run dogpile slow, I
simply cannot fathom why you want to multiboot this system in the
first place.  The only OS's that are going to run worth a damn on it
are Linux and FreeBSD, and you just need to pick one or the
other.

Ted

PS:  You do understand the difference between FreeBSD
slices, FreeBSD partitions, and IBM/BIOS partitions don't you?
That is your not doing something incorrect like trying to install
another OS within a FreeBSD "logical slice"