OpenOffice port vs Firefox

Perry Hutchison perryh at pluto.rain.com
Wed Sep 6 17:55:28 PDT 2006

Having gotten a sufficiently-recent version of glib, I am now
several hours into the build of OpenOffice, and I've discovered
that Firefox has quit working.  When I try to start it:

GThread-ERROR **: file gthread-posix.c: line 187 (): error 'Invalid argument' during 'pthread_mutex_trylock'
aborting...
Abort trap (core dumped)

Of course, since it won't start up, I can't consult Help/About
to find out the version :(  but based on /var/db/pkg I think it is
firefox-1.5.0.1_1,1

I suppose Firefox and OpenOffice are tripping over each other WRT
the version of some shared library, but I thought the whole point
of having version numbers on shared libs was to prevent that sort
of problem.

Does anyone have Firefox and OpenOffice coexisting on a single
system?  How is it accomplished?