Getting GELI Keys from Floppy

Frank Steinborn steinex at nognu.de
Wed Sep 6 14:00:37 PDT 2006

Hello,

i want to encrypt my HDD's with GELI (not the root-fs, though). I want
to do the encryption without password, just with a key. The key should
be stored in a floppy disk, and the read should be read automatically
on boot, from the floppy.

There is a problem here, because GELI initializes _before_ mounting
the disks from /etc/fstab (for obvious reasons, of course). So GELI is
not able to get the keys from the floppy and fails.

So, any hints how I could get the floppy mounted _before_ GELI tries
to initialize?

Thanks in advance,
Frank