KBTV setup problem

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Wed Sep 6 10:27:49 PDT 2006

On Wednesday 06 September 2006 17:33, you wrote:

<snip>

> > > SOUND - Sound card and tuner sound wiring
> > > ===================================================================
> > > SND MODULE LOADED............ Yes
> > > AUDIO CHIP................... CMedia CMI8738

Hmm, someone else had the same problem a while ago, also had a CMedia CMI8738.
I guess that driver doesn't work well with python's ossaudiodev module that
kbtv uses to handle audio. This would be something to be coordinated by the
snd_cmi and python maintainers I'm afraid. Maybe snd_cmi doesn't support
ossaudio device/mixer at all?

If you try the attached test that I sent him (put both files somewhere in the
same directory and run 'python test.py' from there), do you get:

% python test.py
DEBUG:
IOError or OSSAudioError occured

?

If so, and there's nothing wrong with permissions on dsp and mixer devices,
that would confirm my hypothesis (can you let me know if this is the case?)

Sorry. Maybe you can try with a separate sound card. At least I know now that
the MSP is not the problem.

Thanks for the feedback,

Dan

> > > MIXER CHANNEL FOR TV.........
> > > btsetup> quit
> > >
> > > chaucer 502 /usr/home/mike # kbtv
> > > kbtv: WARNING: KLocale: trying to look up "" in catalog. Fix the
> > > program Traceback (most recent call last):
> > >   File "./kbtv_application.py", line 136, in ?
> > >     mainwindow = KbtvPart(player)
> > >   File "/usr/local/share/apps/kbtv/kbtv_part.py", line 118, in __init__
> > >     self.extendToolbar()
> > >   File "/usr/local/share/apps/kbtv/kbtv_part.py", line 389, in
> > > extendToolbar
> > >     self.toolbarwidget = KbtvToolbarWidget(self, tb)
> > >   File "/usr/local/share/apps/kbtv/kbtv_toolbar.py", line 48, in
> > > __init__
> > >     self.mixerchan = bthardware.MIXER_CHANNEL_NAMES.index(mchan)
> > > ValueError: list.index(x): x not in list

PS: It's possible to set mchan to, say, line in the code instead of
uninitialized, but I would think that would only make things better
cosmetically (no crash) but it wouldn't make sound work.

> No, I am trying to use the snd drivers via the built-in sound card in
> the motherboard.  I removed all references to the TV card from the
> kernel definition file, and let it be loaded dynamically, as suggested
> in the documentation.
>
> chaucer 507 /etc # kldstat
> Id Refs Address    Size     Name
>  1   37 0xc0400000 387d9c   kernel
>  2    1 0xc0788000 3204     splash_bmp.ko
>  3    1 0xc078c000 4228     vesa.ko
>  4    1 0xc07dc000 328c     snd_driver.ko
>  5    2 0xc07e0000 4d08     snd_ad1816.ko
>  6   29 0xc07e5000 1d9c8    sound.ko
>  7    2 0xc0803000 4c4c     snd_als4000.ko
>  8    2 0xc0808000 4fcc     snd_cmi.ko

<snip>