solaris

stan stanb at panix.com
Wed Sep 6 06:01:32 PDT 2006

Just a point, I'm the proud owner of _at least_ 2 different current types
of Sun hardware, that FreeBSD does not work on, at least not wekk enoygh to
deploy production machines that is. Blade 1500's don't work _at all_ and
U40's are too unstable to deploy.

It's shame,as for the applications I bought these machines for, I'd prefer
FreeSBSD.

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 03:15:14PM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2006-09-05 22:50, Bill-Schoolcraft <bill at wiliweld.com> wrote:
> > If just a "relatively" small handful of dedicated FreeBSD coders can
> > produce an OS that will install on damm near "ANYTHING" I always found
> > it troubling that SUN Microsystems, with all it's resources, could
> > not, at the least, make their x86 OS (think Solaris-10) install with
> > support, for lets say, what FreeBSD had for 4.2?
> >
> > I mean, all the drivers are available, wouldn't one think that they
> > could at least support what FreeBSD supports in terms of number of
> > devices?
>
> I don't speak officially *for* FreeBSD, but let's be a bit realistic
> shall we?  There are both good and bad points for both FreeBSD and
> Solaris.  I'm sure someone can find hardware on which FreeBSD can not
> be installed at all.  The same can be said for Solaris.  In the end,
> it is all a matter of what hardware you have and what your particular
> application requires :-)
>
> Having said that, I am more comfortable with the FreeBSD-way of doing
> most things, so when I have the choise and *both* systems can be used,
> I usually pick FreeBSD just because it is the one I know best.

(Dennis Ritchie)