solaris

Bill-Schoolcraft bill at wiliweld.com
Tue Sep 5 22:50:51 PDT 2006

At Tue, 5 Sep 2006 it looks like backyard composed:

> don't get me wrong I don't doubt it is a great system
> to use, which is why I kept on trying to get it
> installed on many different machines; from laptops to
> desktops, to servers, and my commodore... and I will
> admit I installed without really looking at the
> hardware compatability list... That being said
> ususally the boot loader will not load Solaris for me.
> The funny thing is when I had it on a machine with
> windows it would boot windows, just not Solaris.

<humbly_snipped>

I was just thinking about how much I enjoyed the feeling of doing a
successfuly install and configuration of Solaris on a desktop, which
was, in my case, not all that often.  Whenever I could not get it to
install, I'd just install FreeBSD with no problems.

Now, that is the ironic, case in point, and I can only speak for
myself, but...

If just a "relatively" small handful of dedicated FreeBSD coders can
produce an OS that will install on damm near "ANYTHING" I always
found it troubling that SUN Microsystems, with all it's resources,
could not, at the least, make their x86 OS (think Solaris-10)
install with support, for lets say, what FreeBSD had for 4.2?

I mean, all the drivers are available, wouldn't one think that they
could at least support what FreeBSD supports in terms of number of
devices?

--
Bill Schoolcraft <<<<*>>>> http://wiliweld.com
                    <*>