Word processor for 6.1

Jerold McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Tue Sep 5 12:05:34 PDT 2006

Perry Hutchison writes:

>> By the way, Openoffice does work nicely on FreeBSD 6.1 and Gnome
>> is not needed for it at all.  Gnome is irrelevant to Openoccife.
>
> The Ports build of OpenOffice seems to require glib, which seems
> to be maintained by the gnome folks even if it is not, strictly
> speaking, part of gnome.  If there is a build-time option to use
> something else instead, it would be nice for the choice to come
> up on one of those blue option screens when building the port.

I had no problem building Openoffice 2.xxx from ports.   The glib stuff
just flew right on by with no problem.   All I had to do extra was to
get the jde stuff from Sun and click on the yes box for the license
during the registration.   This was all under FreeBSD 6.1, though
OpenOffice was not the first port I installed, so it is possible some
other, earlier installed, port caused needed things to be built, though
it didn't look like it.   It even took a little less time than I had
expected based on horror stories I had read.   But, it did take a lot of
time and disk space to build it.

I have also installed OpenOffice using one of those prebuilt binaries as
has been suggested by some other folk and that worked fine on some earlier
versions of FreeBSD.   I haven't had any trouble using OpenOffice other
than the usual annoyances that come from any piece of software that wants
to do your thinking for you.

////jerry