Word processor for 6.1

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Tue Sep 5 07:42:19 PDT 2006

RW wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 September 2006 09:35, Erik Norgaard wrote:
>
>> In the standard-supfile for the base system you'd specify RELENG_6 which
>> means you'll get head of -STABLE, or if you are conservative RELENG_6_1
>> which means that you'll just get security patches to the 6.1 release.
>
> I do wish people wouldn't give inexperienced users the impresssion that
> running 6-stable (RELENG_6 ) is the norm - this is a development branch.

I don't try to give any indication of what is the norm. I mention two
options, none of which would mean a switch onto the -CURRENT branch
which was the principal concern in OP.

Further, the OP was really concerned with ports, and I do make an effort
both to explain how stay on a particular branch and why the tagging is
on the ports collection is not the same as the base system - hence the
shift -RELEASE/-STABLE/-CURRENT is not a big difference.

I personally run RELENG_6_1 on my servers and RELENG_6 on my laptops,
while using HEAD of the ports collection on both - and everything is
quite /STABLE/ :)

I'd recommend you follow the norm that works for you, and define one if
it has yet to be defined.

Cheers, Erik
--
Ph: +34.666334818                      web: http://www.locolomo.org