portmanager port upgrade question

Boris Samorodov bsam at ipt.ru
Tue Sep 5 03:11:54 PDT 2006

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 05:56:03 -0400 Gerard Seibert wrote:
> Boris Samorodov wrote:

> > > Can anyon tell me why this port is marked ignore? Has it been superseeded?
> >
> > You may consider reading /usr/ports/UPDATING.
> >
> > BTW, it's the right file to read from time to time and especially if
> > you have questions about the port system. ;-)

> The info you are searching for is in the file under the: 20060616 date
> tag.

Yes.

> Personally, why a new source was not created so that anyone downloading

Which type of source are you speaking of?

> FreeBSD, and conversely not familiar with its workings, would not have
> to go through this rigmarole is beyond me. If they wanted to keep a
> clearly obsolete version around for what ever reason it should have been
> so marked as such.

If you meen linux_base-8 than it is marked as DEPRECATED and an
EXPIRATION_DATE is set.

> For someone doing a fresh install, there is no reason
> to go this route, IMHO.

The default port now is linux_base-fc4 and if someone tries to install
any linux application from a portstree then the right linux port is
installed. And yes, the portstree should be up ta date (note the
system the OP asked was a fresh install as of two weeks ago).

WBR
--
Boris Samorodov (bsam)
FreeBSD committer, http://www.FreeBSD.org The Power To Serve