requesting advice on freebsd as vmware guest

Duane Hill d.hill at yournetplus.com
Mon Sep 4 19:25:42 PDT 2006

On Monday, September 4, 2006 at 9:00:44 PM, Peter confabulated:

> Hi,
> I have XP (3 GHz Pentium and 1.5 MB RAM) running at work and would like
> to have access to a FBSD system within it.  I am not sure which vmware
> product to install.  I believe vmware server is good if you need remote
> connections (something I do not require at this point).  There is also
> workstation and player.  So I'm looking for advice on the basic recipe
> as well as any common pitfalls.
> Peter

I  currently am running VMWare Workstation v5.5.2 on my XP Pro at home
with  a  3.2Ghz  Pentium  and 4 Gig of ram. I use it mainly for a test
bed.  In  my  current  testing  of  some  things for work, I have four
FreeBSD v6.1 servers set up. It runs nice with the extra memory. Prior
to  the  memory  upgrade, things ran extreamly slow once I brought the
second virtual server up.

As far as VMWare's Server, it is a free download (at least for now). I
did  have that loaded once. I found it to be really slow booting an OS
over  the  Internet.  I've  pretty  much given up on it because of the
slowness. I like the idea of being able to boot a virtual machine over
the  Internet  and  having  access  to it. To the host, it runs in the
background.  You  use  either  the  installable console version of the
client  or  you  can access the host via a web browser. Once the OS is
booted,  you  can  disconnect  from  it  and  leave  it running in the
background.  Whenever  you  want  to  manage  the  virtual server, you
connect  in  and it's there. I would imagine this will only get better
over  time.  Workstation has come along way since the free version was
last offered (3+ years ago I believe).

--
"This message was sent using 100% recycled electrons."