Where Are All These Files Located?

pauls at utdallas.edu pauls at utdallas.edu
Mon Sep 4 10:01:22 PDT 2006

--On September 4, 2006 9:42:25 AM -0700 Ted Johnson
<whatawonderfulworldweliveintoo at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi;
> In installing logcheck, I read the following information:
>
> BSD and FreeBSD: You should go to the /etc directory and edit
> the /etc/daily, /etc/weekly, and /etc/monthly scripts and change the
> 'rotate()' script function to change the log permissions on rotation.
> Simply change the line:

/etc/periodic/daily, /etc/periodic/weekly, /etc/periodic/monthly.  See man
(8) periodic.  Also see man (5) pqqeriodic.conf.

However, BSD doesn't need to use logcheck and rotate (which are linux
creations), because it rotates logfiles using syslogd and newsyslog.conf.
See man (8) syslogd, man (8) newsyslog and man (5) newsyslog.conf.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/