where is my adduser.conf file ?

Frank Staals frankstaals at gmx.net
Mon Sep 4 09:17:18 PDT 2006

azhar freebsd wrote:
> hi all
> i am new abt freebsd .
> it may be very simple problem but i am lost . help me !
>

> [root at mine]/etc# uname -a
> FreeBSD mine.freebsd.org 6.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE #1: Wed Aug 30
> 13:08:32 JST 2006
> root at mine.freebsd.org:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/MYGENRIC-001
> i386
>
> [root at mine]/etc# whereis adduser.conf
> adduser.conf:
> [root at mine]/etc#
>
> azhar

'whereis' only looks in the ports or the location of the executable's.
If you want to find a file you should use 'find' or locate. :

find / -name "whatever-you-re-looking-for"

or use locate, but before you can use locate you have to create the
locate database. When you search frequently it's advisable to use locate
since it's faster. Though wheter the results are acurate depends on the
last time you updated your locate database so:

/usr/libexec/locate.updatedb

locate whateveryourelookingfore
locate somethingelse
locate another thing