time to come clean... .

Howard Jones howie at thingy.com
Mon Sep 4 00:14:16 PDT 2006

On 4 Sep 2006, at 05:35, Gary Kline wrote:

> 	How can I automate the backup via rsync to other servers?

If what you want is a backup to the disk on a remote system (rather
than a tape drive or whatever), then have a look at rdiff-backup:

http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_rdiff_backup

It uses the rsync protocol for sending only changed blocks, but saves
the sent data to one side as well to make a 'transaction log'. You
end up with a full copy of the current data (as you would with rsync)
and a command to construct any previous version by applying the
changes in reverse as necessary. I run this on a couple of dozen
machines, mostly freebsd, with no problems. For things like web
servers and DNS, the increments are pretty much that day's logs, so
it is quite effective at saving space/bandwidth. The actual software
is in ports (sysutils/rdiff-backup, I think). It also has the benefit
that no special actions are needed to restore a single file - you
just grab what you want.

Even if you don't fancy the software, the article also has the info
you need to get a reasonably safe root SSH (limited by IP, and the
command that can be run, AND the public key) going with public key
authentication, which will help for rsync as well.

Howie