man page bug in mv(1) ?

hackmiester (Hunter Fuller) hackmiester at hackmiester.com
Sun Sep 3 18:12:23 PDT 2006

On 3 September 2006, at 12:37, James Long wrote:

> The man page mv(1) states:
>
> "It is an error for either the source operand or the destination path
> to specify a directory unless both do."
>

> However:
>
> mv file /tmp/
>
> works.  Am I reading things wrong, or is the man page incorrect?

I think what it means is you cannot move a directory to a file. You
also can't move a file so it becomes a directory. FOr example:

snowy:~ hackmiester$ mv blah blahdir/
mv: rename blah to blahdir/: No such file or directory

You are actually moving the file INTO the directory, not trying to
make a file BE a directory. See what I mean?