From FIXIT: (was:Re: System down, won't come up (was: Oh, no....))

Gary Kline kline at sage.thought.org
Sat Sep 2 21:03:56 PDT 2006

On Sat, Sep 02, 2006 at 10:25:01PM -0400, Jerold McAllister wrote:
> Gary Kline writes:
>
> >On Sat, Sep 02, 2006 at 08:33:44AM -0700, Atom Powers wrote:
> >>If it's only the data you want, try a FreeSBIE boot disk. That will
> >>give you access to the file system/network, so you can recover your
> >>data.
> >>

> >	Where can I get this FreeSBIE boot disk?  Is it a floppy or can I
> >	burn a CDROM?  I have a "burner" on my new Ubuntu box, but have
> >	never burned anything but an audio CD.
> >
> >	<OPINION>
> >
> >		This is one of the myriad things I've never heard of,
> >		but sounds like it should be shipped with each CD boxed
> >		set...
> >
> >	</OPINION>
> >

> It is.  I think all you have to do is boot the regular CD and
> select live system or something like that (I don't remember the
> exact label in the menu, but it should be apparent.   Then you
> can mount the other disk[s] and try to rescue things.

	The key is "try to rescue".  After fscking my filesystems
	I tried a reboot and ran into the fatal trap.  Now I'm back i
	fixit mode.   What I really want is to get the data files off
	and over to another servr.  Havng /etc/* and maybe /var/db/pkg/*
	would be a big help.  Then I could reinstall 5.3  ->5.5 and
	finally over to 6.1.

	If anybody nearby who understands the FreeSBIE boot disk  can
	stop by in the next week or two, that'd be great.   Are there
	ways to scp from the # Fixit environment?  Or ways to recompile
	kernel and world frm here?

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix