ACPI lock in the last "halt" process

backyard backyard1454-bsd at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 2 20:03:37 PDT 2006

--- bsd <bsd at todoo.biz> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have configured with a 6.1 RELEASE FreeBSD.
>
> When I am trying to shut down the computer - I reach
> the prompt - all
> processes seems to halt correctly - then the server
> seems to be
> stucked with the ACPI process indefinitely ??
>
> First of all I don't know what ACPI is related to ?
>
> Second how could I avoid that problem in the future
> ?
>

> ---
>
> Here are the info related to acpi on my dmesg log :
>
> > acpi_alloc_wakeup_handler: can't alloc wake memory
> > acpi0: <A M I OEMRSDT> on motherboard
> > acpi0: Power Button (fixed)
> > acpi_timer0: <24-bit timer at 3.579545MHz> port
> 0x408-0x40b on acpi0
> > cpu0: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
> > acpi_throttle0: <ACPI CPU Throttling> on cpu0
> > cpu1: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
> > cpu2: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
> > cpu3: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
> > pcib0: <ACPI Host-PCI bridge> port 0xcf8-0xcff on
> acpi0
> > acpi_button0: <Power Button> on acpi0
> > sio0: <16550A-compatible COM port> port
> 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags
> > 0x10 on acpi0
> > atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> port
> 0x60,0x64 irq 1 on acpi0
>

> Thanks.

> ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
> Gregober ---> PGP ID --> 0x1BA3C2FD
> bsd @at@ todoo.biz
> ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
>
> P "Please consider your environmental responsibility
> before printing
> this e-mail"

what kind of computer is this? Do you have the latest
BIOS installed on the computer in question? What BIOS
version are you using? Did the machine do this on
other releases or is this the first FreeBSD it has
seen?

ACPI is the most current flashier version of APM with
some PNP thrown in; in laymens terms... It configures
devices, provides power management, and allows the
computer to setup hardware so specific versions of
windows can or cannot use certain resources on the
machine. Sometimes this does cause issues with the
non-windows users because devices are left
unconfigured or features disabled. Sometimes this
leaves the hardcore users rewriting their ACPI to
include support for FreeBSD natively or fix the errors
that came with the ACPI from the OEM. shutdown puts in
a system call to ACPI to shutoff the computer. That is
why it matters.

It seems like your system should shutdown properly due
to the power button fixed line above. At least it not
being able to properly shutdown is a known issue with
the machine. Does the computer hard lock or do you
mean you get stuck at a
#
prompt but no powerdown?
shutdown now
will bring you to single user mode
shutdown -p now
should (only in linux does it not for me...)shutdown
the machine.

to avoid this problem in the future you should fill in
some of these blanks. Describe what:

> When I am trying to shut down the computer - I reach
> the prompt - all
> processes seems to halt correctly - then the server
> seems to be
> stucked with the ACPI process indefinitely ??

means exactly. I know its tricky to get verbatium what
is going on, but when does it die?

I had a dell with this problem, had to update the bios
and turn on acpi for it to work right, would only halt
the machine for me (shutdown -h now [turns off pc in
linux... sorry tux is a new enemy...])

also a
uname -a
may be a nice thing to include.