Sparkling Brand New FreeBSD Admin

Erik Nørgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Sat Sep 2 03:47:39 PDT 2006

Keith Phipps wrote:

>    My questions really come down to this; I'll be working with 4.x and
> 6.1 boxes. Are there any global issues with them I should be concerned
> about, something you guys as admins have to deal with regularly.

I spend far more time on third party apps than the base system.

Subscribe to the relevant mailinglists:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/eresources.html#ERESOURCES-MAIL

Read the advisories for the systems you maintain.

> The
> boss also said something that confused me, said I'd need to make the
> builds and compile php, perl, and mysql into the Kernel. I've never done
> much Kernel work (much, lets start with any) but it's always been my
> understanding that with BSD if I wanted to install PHP, PERL, and MySQL
> on a box, I'd just pkg_add it. I've never heard of it actually being
> compiled in the kernel.

/into/ the kernel?

>    Right now my biggest resources have to be google and the O'Reilly
> book "Essential Sys. Admin." but I'd like to have a reference guide more
> suited to only the FreeBSD platform. Any recommendations on this as well?

For general purposes: The handbook

  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

Other guides exist covering special issues, firewalling and stuff.

Cheers, Erik
--
Ph: +34.666334818                      web: http://www.locolomo.org
X.509 Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/8D03551FFCE04F0C.crt