graphics programd like xpaint and gimp.

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Fri Sep 1 18:04:29 PDT 2006

On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 05:33:35PM -0700, Micah wrote:
> Gary Kline wrote:
> >	I finally realized why I couldn't change the solid-color bg
> >	with xpaint.  The bucket [icon] is missing; the documentation
> >	doesn't reflect this...  But *anyway*, to other things-graphic.
> >
> >	With gimp, is it possible to create polygons?  How about a
> >	5-pointed star?   Or 6- or 7-pointed star?   I have found some
> >	images of what I'm looking for thru Google/images, but the
> >	bavkgrounf is not solid for some images, &c.  Also, it is
> >	possible to join two or three (already-drawn, on-disk) images
> >	with gimp?  I'm thinking of a circle surrounding a hexagon
> >	surrounding a square, e.g.
> >
> >	--Part of this is just-for-fun curiosity before
> >	I get back to my studies; part of it is to try to create designs
> >	for my jottings pages.
> >
> >	thanks for any insights,
> >
> >	gary
>
> Wondered this myself. The first Google result on 'polygons gimp'
> returned the GFig component accessed via filters->render->gfig. Made a 6
> pointed star inside a circle inside a square in seconds. For joining
> images you may need to read up on the gimp. Specifically copy, paste,
> layers, transparency, masks, and canvas sizes are just some of the
> basics that you might have to deal with.
>
> HTH,

	It helps to know some of this is possible, thank you.
	Unfortuantly, something is fouled up in my build directory.
	I'm tired of the build probs so have begun to move to Ubuntu.
	--Unfortunately, the readmes are not installed by default.
	I'll google around for the online docs.

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix