Trouble building abiword in the Ports Collection

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Fri Sep 1 11:46:12 PDT 2006

Perry Hutchison wrote:

> What I have done:
> * Installed 6.1, including the Ports Collection, from CD.
> * Ran portsnap fetch.
> * Attempted portsnap update.
>   ? It sez this only works after an extract.  What is the point of
>     installing the collection from CD if it has to be completely
>     reinstalled from a download anyway?
> * Ran portsnap extract.
> * Built richtext, apparently successfully.
> * Attempted to build abiword.  It complained about a glibc version
>   problem, and said to run gnomelogalyzer.sh.  gnomelogalyzer.sh
>   found nothing specific, but said to run 'portupgrade -a' on general
>   principles.
>   ? Why should this be needed?  Shouldn't a freshly-downloaded
>     portsnap already be up to date?
> * Attempted 'portupgrade -a'.  It ran for several hours, fetching
>   and building a huge amount of stuff (most of which I don't think
>   I want), and pausing several times for answers to imponderable
>   configuration questions, before eventually failing.
>   ? Shouldn't those configuration screens have a "help" function, for
>     those of us who have no clue what some of the options amount to?
> * Reran 'portupgrade -a' to get a smaller logfile, showing only the
>   errors (since presumably the successful builds won't be redone).
>   This time it complains about the pkgdb.
>   ? Now what?  Is it time to "rm -rf /usr/ports /var/db/pkg" and
>     start completely over (and if so, what should I do differently
>     this time)?

Try this. Run everything as root.

          pkgdb -aFfuv

That should fix most if not all problems. If it fails, you will have to
run: pkgdb -F to fix them manually.

If you have 'portupgrade' you should also have portsclean. Try running
this to clean up any crud left from you old builds.

          portsclean -CDDLP

Now run: portsnap fetch && portsnap update

Now you can run the portupgrade command. You can probably run it like
this:
          portupgrade -aFRr

That should cover all of your bases. Personally I prefer 'portmanager'
but each to his own.

Good luck!

--
Gerard Seibert