things-Mail: update

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Mon Oct 30 20:40:07 UTC 2006

On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 01:02:50PM +0000, Frank Shute wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 07:00:50PM -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 12:44:55AM +0000, Frank Shute wrote:
> > >
> > > You can get mutt to launch embedded URLs in a browser by installing
> > > urlview and setting up your mailcap. Just thought I'd mention it.
> > >
> > > <snip>
> > >
> > 	WOW!  Where is urlview and what exactly do I add to ~/.mailcap??
>
> Urlview is in ports: textproc/urlview
>
> Looking at the urlview manpage, it looks like I was mistaken and it
> has nothing to do with mailcap but you need the following in
> ~/.urlview:
>
> COMMAND /usr/X11R6/bin/firefox %s
>
> Then when you hit Ctl-b in mutt you're presented with a list of pages
> extracted from the e-mail that you can then scroll through and open in
> the browser. I don't think I had to do anything to my .muttrc
>
> Voila! No more cut and pasting - took me years before I found it :(
>
> As for mailcap, it's useful if you get attachments to your mail so at
> a minimum you want this in ~/.mailcap
>
> text/html;/usr/X11R6/bin/firefox %s
> application/pdf;acroread %s
> application/msword;antiword %s | less
> application/postscript;gview %s
> image/gif;xv %s
> image/jpeg;xv %s
> image/png;xv %s

	After messing with this for an hour it finally works.  My initial
	fumbles were that the scipt in /usr/local/bin, url_handler.sh
	defaults to netscape; then lynx.
	... .

	Anyway, one detail is that whereis finds mozilla and firefox in
	/usr/local/bin, not X11R6.  So I changed both my ~/.mailcap and
	/usr/local/bin/url_handler:: from "netscape" to "firefox".  Now
	thing work as expected.  With mutt, files are saved to
	~/Mail/<user>, ^b gives a list of URL's and mailto's.

	The urlview defaults are such that no ~/.urlview nor
	/usr/local/etc/usrview.conf are necessary.

	gary

   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix