replacing ^M with emacs

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Sun Oct 29 01:04:36 UTC 2006

On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 07:57:08PM -0700, Noah wrote:

> well I am pressing control-J for return not control-M so I dont
> understand your rationale.

I don't understand your comment.   There was no rationale.  That is
just what the ASCII characters are used for and a little of the history
of how they got that way - though the choice of numeric code was mostly
arbitrary, some of it had to do with easy processing of codes as control
for printers and teletypes.

If you use the characters in a non-traditional way, that is up to
you, but other systems and utilities won't follow your pattern most
likely.

Now, in UNIX, since it doesn't end lines with a pair of ^M^J but only
uses ^J, it may look like it is a RETURN, but the original designation
is Line Feed.  UNIX just picked that one.

////jerry