Ports collection issue

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Fri Oct 27 03:34:31 UTC 2006

On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 05:07:54PM -0700, Rik Davis wrote:
> Guys,
>

> I'm a die hard freebsd user, but I am finding myself becomeing quite
> frustrated with why you completely pulled the 5.4 ports collection
> off of your ftp sites.

Because 5.4 was released nearly 18 months ago and disk space is
finite.

Note that even after moving aside the 5.4 packages to make enough room
to fit the forthcoming 6.2 packages, the FTP site takes up close to
half a terabyte of space.

> When I try to use my /stand/sysinstall now and attempt to connect to
> you ftp server, I ge the error that it cannot locate the 5.4-RELEASE
> packages. Why would you remove a collection that is still in such
> high demand by those of us that have yet to upgrade our binaries to
> a later version?
>
> I depend on that being there, but this is not leaving a very
> pleasant taste in my mouth. Also, this is not the first time I have
> seen you do this. What am I supposed to do now that I no longer have
> access to those packages?

Use an alternative mirror which still carries the old releases.  For
example ftp-archive.freebsd.org, and probably others.

In future you might like to consider alternative explanations than
malicious intent on the part of FreeBSD to harm you, before posting.

Kris