Fatal error 'Spinlock called when not threaded.'

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Fri Oct 27 00:43:18 UTC 2006

On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 08:34:52PM -0400, Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 06:33:09PM -0400, Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >=20
> > > 	Thanks... Any idea where to look for the answer? I did find
> > > references, but to "UPDATING" that didn't exist. Wondered how all=20
> > > of a sudden items I haven't recompiled in a while started having
> > > it.
> >
> > You had old packages linked against an old version of the library from
> > a previous revision of FreeBSD, and they only broke when your recent
> > update changed one of them to link to both versions.
> >
> FreeBSD himinbjorg.tucs-beachin-obx-house.com 5.5-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 5.5-RELEASE-p2 #0: Tue Jun 20 15:27:48 EDT 2006     root at himinbjorg.tucs-beachin-obx-house.com:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/HIMINBJORG53noagp  i386
>
> 	As you see, I haven't updated my base OS in 4 months.

OK, but that doesn't rule out what I said.  You have *some* files
still left over from an older version of FreeBSD, in particular,
including the following:

a) an old copy of a thread library

b) old packages linked to this old thread library

> > portupgrade -fa is the most convenient way to solve this.
> >
> 	That scares me to no ever loving end. I usually end up
> with issues. I'm doing a "portupgrade -rf pkg-config\*" for the
> 3rd time right now. It hasn't worked properly the other 2
> times.

Probably for the same reason, i.e. you're not updating a consistent
subset of your packages.  There are packages that do not depend on
pkg-config that probably need to be updated too, and since you're not
updating them then you'll break things that require the new version.

In fact, doing a portupgrade -fa is the usual way you *fix* such
inconsistencies, as I've already said.

Kris