Problems booting on a Compaq DL360 (P21 version)

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Wed Oct 25 05:22:17 UTC 2006

Then you have a hardare revision difference on the controller or
motherboard.
I think the raid cards are in slots on that server, try exchanging them.  If
the
problem follows the card you can probably pick up a replacement card from
Ebay.
Otherwise, install Windows on the server and sell it on Ebay as a running
server, you will probably get back almost what you put into it.

You could probably buy a dozen of these servers off the used market and
a couple of them are going to have this problem.  We noticed similar issues
with the first generation DL360, the difference was although FreeBSD booted
on all of them, Solaris only ran on a few of them.  I never bothered to dig
down and find out what the bad motherboard revisions were since I needed
both Solaris and FreeBSD servers and I just swapped server hardware around.
Like FreeBSD, Solaris is also not a supported OS on that hardware so we
were in the same boat, supportwise.

This is why you buy servers brand new, if you get these problems you can
return the server.  When you get them used, your playing craps.

Ted