Copying binaries to new server

James Smallacombe james at pil.net
Tue Oct 24 22:41:26 UTC 2006

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006, James Smallacombe wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Oct 2006, Eric wrote:
>
> > James Smallacombe wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm not as familiar with BSD dump...does it compress well?  Also, what's this?
> >
> > Take a dump
> > dump -0uanLf - /var | bzip2 | dd of=/some/path/dump-var-level0.bz2
> > dump -0uanLf - / | bzip2 | dd of=/some/path/dump-root-level0.bz2
> > dump -0uanLf - /usr | bzip2 | dd of=/some/path/dump-usr-level0.bz2
> >
> > Restore a dump
> > To Restore Interactively
>
> Thanks, this seems to be doing the trick.  However, I am getting a ton of
> these upon restoring the contents of /usr on the new server:
>
> warning: cannot create symbolic link
> ./src/sys/i386/compile/NEW_NS1.SMP/modules/usr/src/sys/modules/if_ppp/machine->/usr/src/sys/i386/include:
> File exists
>
> Is it just that the symlinks already exist on the new server and it won't
> overwrite them the way they overwrite regular files?

Ugh...my ssh session to the new (remote) server was killed, presumably when
restore overwrote something sshd needed.  I was able to telnet back in,
restart sshd and get back in, but since I was doing the restore interactively,
and not in the background, was the restore interrupted?

This is the problem with trying to copy a /usr or / file system to a live
system...

James Smallacombe                    Internet Access for The Delaware
james at pil.net                        Valley in PA, NJ and DE
PlantageNet Internet Ltd.            http://www.pil.net