Copying binaries to new server

James Smallacombe james at pil.net
Tue Oct 24 18:28:07 UTC 2006

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006, Dan Nelson wrote:

> In the last episode (Oct 24), James Smallacombe said:
> > Here's another issue I just ran into while trying to do just that, using tar:
> >
> > su-2.05b# tar xpPvfz
> > <snip thousands of lines>
> > x /usr/lib/libypclnt.so
> > x /usr/lib/libalias.a
> > x /usr/lib/libalias.so
> > x /usr/lib/libarchive.a
> > x /usr/lib/libarchive.so.2Bus error: 10 (core dumped)
> >
> > I take it the core dump occured because I was trying to overwrite a lib that
> > was in use by tar, right?  Is there a good way around this?
>
> You can try the -U option, which will unlink existing files before
> creating the new version.

I just noticed the problem was in creating the tarball, not extracting it....I
will try the "-W exclude=libarchive.*" first...

thanks

James Smallacombe                    Internet Access for The Delaware
james at pil.net                        Valley in PA, NJ and DE
PlantageNet Internet Ltd.            http://www.pil.net