linux programs accessing non-linux programs

Giuseppe Pagnoni gpagnon at emory.edu
Tue Oct 24 17:27:21 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I have been having trouble figuring out how to make linux programs
(installed and running under /compat/linux) access other FreeBSD
binaries that are *not* located under /compat/linux.  For instance, I am
running linux-thunderbird and when I want to open a *.doc file
attachment, thunderbird asks me which application I would like to use:
I would like to point it to /usr/X11R6/bin/abiword , but unfortunately
when I chdir to /usr/X11R6/bin in the dialog box, it goes actually to
/compat/linux/usr/X11R6/bin (and abiword is *not* there).  Is there a
way to make linux programs be able to jump out of /compat/linux/ when
looking for helper applications?

thanks in advance for any advice

best
   giuseppe