pkg_add/delete questions

Eric heli at mikestammer.com
Mon Oct 23 19:48:52 UTC 2006

RW wrote:
> On Monday 23 October 2006 16:15, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>> "Mark Jayson Alvarez" <markjayson.alvarez at gmail.com> writes:
>>> I have several questions:
>>>
>>> 1. If I install a particular package, its dependencies will be
>>> installed as well. Now if I remove it later using pkg_delete, only
>>> that package will be removed and not the dependencies. The reason I
>>> guess is because some other packages may be dependent on those
>>> dependencies as well. Is there a way to remove a particular package
>>> and all of its dependencies (given that no other package is dependent
>>> on those dependencies)?
>> Is the pkg_cutleaves port what you're looking for?
>
> If you build anything from ports, portmanager does a better job as it it takes
> account of build dependencies.

portmaster has an -s switch that will remove ports no longer needed by
any other ports, so what you can do is say uninstall port A then run
portmaster -s and it will pick up any ports that port A required but
nothing else does and offer to remove them. it is an alternate to
portmanager, so you will not need both.