HOWTO: run portupgrade with original options for perl5.8

Vince jhary at unsane.co.uk
Mon Oct 23 16:15:20 UTC 2006

Lane wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I run openwebmail which wants perl compiled -DENABLE_SUIDPERL
>
> However, when I portupgrade perl, this option is apparently not reused, and
> openwebmail fails until I recompile perl.
>
> I note that there is no entry for perl in /var/db/ports (i.e. no "options" are
> recorded).
>
> I also note that the /options that are present for other ports contain the
> header:
>
> # This file is auto-generated by 'make config'.
> # No user-servicable parts inside!
>
> and when I run make config from /usr/ports/lang/perl5.8 I get
>
> ===> No options to configure
>
> So the question is:  How do I get portupgrade to remember the options I used
> when I compiled perl?

the config file for portupgrade is  /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf which
contains a config line of
MAKE_ARGS = {
}

either read the inline comments to get the idea what to add here and
tune for your site or just change this to
MAKE_ARGS = {
'lang/perl5.8' => 'ENABLE_SUIDPERL=YES',
}

To fix your issue.

Vince