Running Cisco Systems VPN Client with FreeBSD

Alexandre Vieira nullpt at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 09:27:24 UTC 2006

On 10/23/06, Matthias Apitz <m.apitz at oclcpica.org> wrote:

> El día Monday, October 23, 2006 a las 09:58:36AM +0100, Alexandre Vieira
> escribió:
>
> > Hello list,
> >
> > We have a couple of clients which use Cisco VPN's for network access and
> I'm
> > responsible to configure a common gate to establish the VPN to the
> client
> > network.
> >
> > I have a Linux box which runs Cisco Systems VPN Client with no problems
> but
> > I would like to give freebsd a go.
> >
> > My main concern is that this client, in linux, includes a kernel
> loadable
> > module named cisco_ipsec. I haven't made any deep deep research on this
> but
> > would like to know if there is anyone that works with this software with
> > FreeBSD.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your time.
>
> Hello,
>
> from the ports /usr/ports/security/vpnc worked for me out of the box;
>
>         matthias
>
> --
> Matthias Apitz
> Manager Technical Support - OCLC PICA GmbH
> Gruenwalder Weg 28g - 82041 Oberhaching - Germany
> t +49-89-61308 351 - f +49-89-61308 399 - m +49-170-4527211
> e <m.apitz at oclcpica.org> - w http://www.oclcpica.org/
> http://guru.UnixLand.de/

Hello Matthias,

Thanks for the reply.

I was talking with a network engie and he told me that he already made some
tests in the past with vpnc and that it doesn't work with most of the newest
equipment that our clients use.

The software tells me that it works with VPN concentrator 3000 and EasyVPN
compliant equipments.

I don't have, yet, details about the devices that will be used in the client
side but I know that we'll use RSA randomized rotative SecureID's and we'll
use IPSEC.

I'm not aware if this kind of auth mecanism has anything to do with the
client itself.

Anyway, I will give vpnc a go :)

Many thanks.
Regards,