Flash player 9 Beta is Live

Derrick Edwards derrick at uniquestrength.net
Sun Oct 22 13:38:45 UTC 2006

On Thursday 19 October 2006 13:34, Mark Kane wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 19, 2006, at 13:08:50 -0400, Jerry McAllister wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 06:32:14PM +0300, Dimiter Ivanov wrote:
> > > http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/2006/10/beta_is_live.html
> > >
> > > I have downloaded the stand alone player and it works out of the
> > > box. Anyone having expirience with the browser plugin ?
> > >
> > > I'm using 6.1 Release and KDE 3.5.4
> >
> > OK.   That sounds promising.
> >
> > But, is this limited to KDE or how about plain Firefox running
> > on plain ole FreeBSD 6.1 with a fairly plain Windows manager?
> > Does it requite the Lunix compatibility stuff?
>
> Yes, the plugin would need the Linux compatibility and a Linux binary
> browser (such as linux-firefox or linux-opera).
>
> I tried the standalone version yesterday on FreeBSD 6.2-PRERELEASE
> [amd64] and I couldn't get the standalone version to play anything (it
> would just not do anything when opening files -- just sits at the
> white background of the window). I did try the Linux browser plugin
> along with linux-opera and it worked somewhat.
>
> It played the visual elements of Flash OK, however there is no sound
> since they're using ALSA for the sound in version 9. I also noticed
> that after playing Flash content, the area where the content was
> would turn a solid grey color and it seemed to lock the browser up a
> bit. If I closed out of that tab it seemed to be OK.
>
> Normally I have Flash disabled for all but a couple sites since it uses
> up tons of RAM and really slows down the browser after use (version 7
> at least), so I unloaded 9 and went back to 7 for now where sound at
> least works.
>
> Hopefully Adobe will add in alternate sound support methods so other
> platforms besides Linux can have sound like in version 7, and of course
> I hope they release a native FreeBSD binary sometime too so we can use
> native browsers.
>
> -Mark
  I am not able to get this to work. I downloaded, unpacked, changed the
permissions of the flash player and executed it.  All I get is the adobe
flashplayer dialog box. I tried to input an URL in the dialog box and it does
nothing.
Any help would be appreciated... Also can this be used inside of kde konqueor?
v/r
Derrick